Golf Cart Registration
Registration of Golf Carts Permits will open on Tuesday, October 12, 2021.
To register your golf cart, you must complete the Application for Golf Cart Registration and submit four (4) photos of the golf cart to City Hall during normal business hours.
CITY OF OVERLAND – GOLF CART REGULATIONS
Section 395.020 Operation of Golf Carts Permitted on City Streets.
A. A golf cart may be operated upon the public streets and highways; provided, the golf cart meets the requirements of this Article. Every person operating a golf cart shall be granted all the rights and shall be subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of any other motor vehicle except as to the special requirements in this Article.
B. The operator of a golf cart shall observe all State of Missouri and City traffic laws and rules of the road.
C. The operator of a golf cart shall observe all State of Missouri and City rules related to the parking as noted in Chapter 355 Stopping, Standing or Parking Prohibited in Specific Places.
D. No golf cart shall be operated upon any Federal or State highway, and no golf cart shall be operated upon any County or City street with a posted speed limit greater than twenty-five (25) miles per hour or upon any street noted within this section;
- Brown Road,
- Interstate 170,
- Midland Boulevard,
- Page Avenue, and
- Walton Road
E. The operator of a golf cart shall not cross any Federal or State highway or County or City street with a posted speed limit greater than (35) miles per hour except at the intersection of said streets, with the exception of Page Avenue which shall not be crossed at any location including at the intersection of said streets.
F. It shall be unlawful to operate a golf cart:
1. While under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance; or
2. In a negligent, careless, or imprudent manner so as to endanger any person or property of another.
G. It shall be unlawful to operate a golf cart on a sidewalk.
Section 395.030 Golf Cart Standards.
A. No person shall operate a golf cart unless the golf cart:
1. Meets the definitional requirements stated in Section 395.010; and
2. Is equipped with:
a. A functioning brake system;
b. Headlights, taillights, brake lights and mechanical turn signals, if operated after sunset and before sunrise;
c. At least one (1) rear-view mirror;
d. A serial number, manufacturer's code, or vehicle identification number;
e. A Type 1 or Type 2 seatbelt assembly conforming to 49 CFR 571.209 and Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 209 for each designated seating position; and
f. A horn or other device
B. It shall be unlawful to operate a golf cart upon a public street or highway that is not in conformity with Subsection A.
Section 395.040 Golf Cart — Driver's License and Insurance Required.
A. Every operator of a golf cart shall:
1. Possess a valid driver's license issued by the State of Missouri, pursuant to Chapter 302, RSMo., or an equivalent out-of-state license; and
2. Maintain financial responsibility as required by Chapter 303, RSMo., or the equivalent out-of-state insurance or proof of financial responsibility.
B. It shall be unlawful to operate a golf cart upon a public street while not in possession of a valid driver's license and proof of financial responsibility.
Section 395.050 Golf Cart Operating Requirements.
A. It shall be unlawful to operate a golf cart:
1. On a public street with passengers in excess of the number of people the golf cart was designed to seat;
2. With a person riding in the bag well of a golf cart unless such areas are properly equipped with a permanently mounted seat specifically designed for the carrying of passengers; or
3. With a person hanging onto the vehicle and who is not seated.
4. Between the hours of 11:00 P.M. and 5:00 A.M., daily.
B. Any person operating a golf cart shall:
1. Yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian or bicyclist; and
2. Give an audible signal before overtaking or passing a pedestrian or bicyclist; and
3. Move the golf cart to the far-right side of the street and yield to faster moving vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
Section 395.070 Enforcement.
A. Any person who shall violate any provision of this Chapter shall be deemed guilty of an ordinance violation and shall, upon conviction, be punished as provided in Section 100.150 of this Code.